Re: MPlayer DFSG compatibility status

Don Armstrong <don@donarmstrong.com> writes:

> On Tue, 07 Oct 2003, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > Don Armstrong <don@donarmstrong.com> writes:
> >> Now, 287(a)[2] limits the damages that can be assessed against an
> >> un-notified infringer, but doesn't change the illegality of the
> >> infringing.
> >
> > So what?  We have an existing policy.
>
> You've lost me here. I have no clue what our policy has to do with the
> legality/illegality of patent infringing...

It was already explained.  Unless we have a particular reason to fear
an enforcement action, we don't fret about patents.  We know many many
companies (IBM, for example) that have large war-chests of software
patents, but say they won't enforce them against anyone who doesn't
try to enforce one on them.  This is the unofficial policy of many
more patent holders.

So our policy is to not fret at all unless we have real reason to
worry.

Thomas