Re: MPlayer DFSG compatibility status

On Tue, 2003-10-07 at 20:53, Brian T. Sniffen wrote:
> Gabucino <gabucino@mplayerhq.hu> writes:
> > There is a significant part to these patent enforcement stories: they all
> > happen on Win32 platform. Microsoft has never enforced media patents on Linux
> > market, as far as I know.
>
> That's irrelevant if they actually own the patent: the goal is not to
> avoid getting sued, it's to avoid breaking the law.

So far as I know, it is not illegal to infringe on somebody else's
patents. AIUI patent holders can enforce (or not) their patents at will
by suing, but doing so is their perogative and no law makes it wrong for
someone to infringe on a patent which isn't being enforced.

--
Joe Drew <hoserhead@woot.net> <drew@debian.org>

My weblog doesn't detail my personal life: http://me.woot.net