Re: snippets

Dylan Thurston <dpt@math.harvard.edu> a tapoté :

> On 2003-09-29, Mathieu Roy <yeupou@gnu.org> wrote:
> >> OK, here's one: what if the Japanese government wants to make a
> >> completely localised version of emacs?  They would be unable to,
> >> because they would not be able to translate the GNU Manifesto, which
> >> does not yet have an official translation into Japanese.  They could
> >> probably prepare a summary in Japanese, but that is different from
> >> giving a translation.
> >
> > They can provide a translated version. They only must add the original
> > text along, which is not a real burden with this kind of documents (it
> > does not change the usability).
>
> No they can't: the permission notice at the top of
> /usr/share/emacs/21.3/etc/GNU on my system says:
>
> ---------
> Copyright (C) 1985, 1993 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>
>    Permission is granted to anyone to make or distribute verbatim copies
> of this document, in any medium, provided that the copyright notice and
> permission notice are preserved, and that the distributor grants the
> recipient permission for further redistribution as permitted by this
> notice.
>
>    Modified versions may not be made.
> ---------

Hum, this is apparently very specific to the manifesto... As long as I
know, it's the only text that have such copyright note in all
www.gnu.org. I do not know why. It may be historic but it sounds
problematic, indeed.

But what happens when the manifesto is included in a GFDLed manual, which
clearly allows translation, as long as the original text is provided?

> Note that permission to make modified copies (including
> translations) is explicitly not granted.  Conceivably make a
> translation falls under a "fair use" like statute in some countries,
> but I don't know of any.

Unfortunately in France, for instance, it's not allowed to make a
translation without clear consent from the original author.

To get back to your example, would it lower the usability of emacs if
the Japanese government is unable to provide the GNU manifesto in
japanese? It would only lower the interest of this text being shipped
with emacs to japanese people, IMHO.

--
Mathieu Roy

  Homepage: