Re: Respect for Upstream Authors and Snippets of Interest

On Sat, Sep 27, 2003 at 06:12:21PM -0600, Barak Pearlmutter wrote:
> >                 Do you believe
> > unmodifiable essays like the GNU Manifesto could be accepted in Debian with
> > the DFSG as they stand?
>
> This is not a matter of belief.  This is longstanding, and heretofore
> uncontroversial, accepted Debian practice.

That statement applies equally to a wide range of similar bugs. That
does not mean they should not be fixed.

> The Debian ftpmasters
> are doubtless quite aware of such snippets, and have no problems with
> them.

That's a very bold statement. I seriously doubt that if you attempted
to upload any new package which contained these "snippets", and cited
their licenses in the copyright file, that the ftpmasters would have
"no problems" with them. I'd expect them to reject the package
entirely.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |