Re: License requirements for DSP binaries?

Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de>:

> > We should allow it if source code once existed but no longer exists (all
> > the copies of the source code were wiped accidentally at some time in
> > the past).
>
> So it's okay to ignore the DFSG in this case?

It's not ignoring the DFSG; it's interpreting source code to mean the
preferred form for modification, as in the GPL, and it's interpreting
that to mean of the forms that are still extant.

Back to the DSP binaries: I remember that at one point there were DSP
binaries included in the Linux kernel source. Is that still the case?

I think my opinion was that the DSP binaries in the kernel source are
not DFSG-free, because someone still has the source, but they are not
a GPL violation because they are not part of the kernel despite being
distributed with it for good technical reasons.

Look at the right-justification of this e-mail! An accident, I assure
you ...