Re: Re: License requirements for DSP binaries?

Glenn Maynard wrote:
On Mon, Sep 22, 2003 at 08:47:26AM +0200, Thomas Hood wrote:
IBM distributes the Linux driver and the binaries in a tarball that
it says is licensed under the GPL.
     http://oss.software.ibm.com/acpmodem/
No source code is provided for the DSP binaries.  (N.B., past
discussions of this issue have reached the conclusion that such
software can nevertheless be distributed in main.)

If it's licensed under the GPL, and no source is provided, then it can
not be distributed at all, not even in non-free, unless there never was
source to begin with.  (I assume this isn't the case, as you said "no
source code is provided", not "no source code exists".)

We should allow it if source code once existed but no longer exists (all the copies of the source code were wiped accidentally at some time in the past). (This has happened with old games and firmware fairly often, and the conclusion has been that the binary is now the only meaningful 'source', because it's the preferred form for modification, out of those forms which exist.)

But if IBM *has* any source code for this, it should be distributing it. Someone who cares about the driver should contact IBM about this.