Re: A possible GFDL compromise: a proposal
On Mon, 22 Sep 2003, Roland Mas wrote:
>Arnoud Galactus Engelfriet, 2003-09-22 20:40:07 +0200 :
>> Given the amount of discussion this topic has started, perhaps
>> it might be a good idea to do it anyway, if only to reduce
>> the confusion for those who are not native speakers of English.
>> "In the Debian Project, 'software' means anything that is not
>> hardware. It does not mean just computer programs."
First, try to answer to several simply questions.
0) Is printed Emacs Manual in bookstore a software or hardware?
1) Is Emacs Manual recorded on CD-Audio a software or hardware?
2) Is Debian/main printed as book a software or hardware?
3) Why? What differs from 0,1?
4) Is Debian/main printed into punch-cards a software or hardware?
5) Why? What differs from 0,1,2?
6) Is Debian/main written on CD-ROM a software or hardware?
7) Why? What differs from 0, 1,2,4?
8)Is Debian logo written on [cover of] the same CD-ROM software or
9) Why? What differs from 0, 1, 2, 4, 6?
10) Is Debian installation, hardcoded into embedded system software
11) Why? What differs from 0, 1, 2, 4, 6, 8?
12) Does DFSG extends to computer programs, when they are not loaded
into computer memory? (For example what about program, which is
freely distributable only over Internet?)