Re: GFDL

On Wednesday 24 September 2003 01:12, Richard Stallman wrote:
> According to Don Armstrong, a non-modifiable text cannot under any
> circumstances be considered DFSG-free, so it would have to be removed
> from the manual.  Others have (it appears) said the same thing.

These two statements above do not contradict one another. A /non-modifiable/
text could not be included in Debian, a /modifiable/ one would most likely
be. That is, I believe what people have been saying:

On Tuesday 23 September 2003 01:06, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:
> > Two people have just said they would remove any essay that cannot
> > be modified.
>
> DFSG prohibits such unmodifiable content.  If the whole doc was DFSG,
> there wouldn't *be* any essays that cannot be modified.

... etc.

On Wednesday 24 September 2003 01:12, Richard Stallman wrote:
> Having seen a lot of rigid dogmatism here recently, I can hardly
> expect Debian not to be rigidly dogmatic on this issue too.

I can not share your observation of rigid dogmatism on Debian's side of the
debate. However, if FSF or GNU texts were included in a completely DFSG-free
manual, what you call dogmatism would probably prompt most maintainers to
defend its inclusion, should that be necessary.

Regards
Jan Schumacher