Re: A possible GFDL compromise: a proposal

MJ Ray <markj@cloaked.freeserve.co.uk> a tapoté :

> On 2003-09-22 10:47:11 +0100 Mathieu Roy <yeupou@gnu.org> wrote:
> > Free Software is known in France as Logiciel Libre. I'm not sure that
> > you will find many supporters of Logiciel Libre that really thinks
> > that Free Software is not about specifically software programs.
>
> This is expected, because FSF encourages a misuse of the word
> "software"

The FSF always has been about computing, way before Debian even
exists.

> and that is possibly how most LL supporters will know the word.
> From what you say, "logiciel" appears fine for their purpose.

It is already very hard to promote the Logiciel Libre in France. I
think that emcumbering it with your view described at the end of this
message would not be helpful at all. Because as you see, it is
possible to support Logiciel Libre and, however, do not agree with
your view described at the end - the link between the two point of
view is not obvious.

> > Anyway, if you are no longer talking about programs, you are no
> > longer talking about Operating System and even no longer talking
> > about computing.
>
> Huh?  Software is trivially always about computing.

Your argument against the GFDL invariant section applies to texts in a
non-software form. So basically, your point of view is not
specifically computing related.

> > Because if you propose rules to handle documents sitting on a
> > computer which are not programs or their documentation, there's no
> > reason not to apply these rules to the same documents in a
> > non-software form.
>
> That is my view, but again we are drifting outside the scope of
> Debian, so I will not pursue this.

This view clearly have an influence on your usage of the word software
in the Debian case.

--
Mathieu Roy

  Homepage: