Re: [OT] Suing for hot coffee [Was: Re: UnrealIRCd License (Click-Through issue)]

Don Armstrong <don@donarmstrong.com> writes:

> First off, hot coffee causes 2nd degree burns, not 3rd degree
> burns.[1]

Ordinary temperature coffee does indeed cause 2nd degree burns.  This
is not true however for coffee served at 180 degrees Farenheit.

> Secondly, the punitive award by the jury of 2.7 million, or 10 times
> the compensatory damages (and 1000 times the actual medical costs) are
> a bit large, and were indeed, reduced by the judge to a slightly more
> reasonable 3 times the compensatory damages, or 640K.[2]

Yes, indeed, as probably should have happened.  Doesn't this suggest
that the system is working well?

> Finally, while the McD's case, upon further inspection, wasn't
> necessarily frivolous, it is indicative of larger judgements that are
> often filed against plaintiffs, and then reduced later.

This is an excellent argument for allowing judges to reduce jury
awards.  Oh, wait, we already have that rule.  Looks like the system
is working fine.

Thomas