Re: UnrealIRCd License (Click-Through issue)

On Mon, 01 Sep 2003, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 01, 2003 at 04:01:59PM +0100, Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS wrote:
> > Of course. You have the right to sue anyone for anything at any time!
>
> Only in the US. Most countries require the plaintiff actually have a
> case before letting them in the courtroom.

This isn't really true in the US as well. Frivolous lawsuits in the US
often are thrown out very rapidly in the pre trial phase.[1] Many of the
egregious cases which are thrown out often involve the awarding of
fees and/or damages to the defendant.

Now, that doesn't mean that you still wouldn't have to retain an
attorney, but assuming you've got a reasonably competent one, they
should be able to make the case go away relatively rapidly, often
without bankrupting you.

Don Armstrong
1: Of course, you do hear about rather rediculous judgements from
time to time. That's because there are quite a few moronic lower court
judges out there. Most of those settlements (the Mc-D's coffee one for
instance) are often overturned or reduced in the appeals process.
--
What I can't stand is the feeling that my brain is leaving me for
someone more interesting.

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu