Re: A possible GFDL compromise

On Thursday, Sep 11, 2003, at 10:08 US/Eastern, Andreas Barth wrote:

What if someone do want to distribute on a DRM media that is per
design not copyable (aka the "can't copy"-bit set by definition)?

Now that I come to think of it, my answer would be "too bad." Such a format is fundamentally incompatible with free software. A familiar passage comes to mind:

	"You may not impose any further restrictions on the recipients'
	 exercise of the rights granted herein."

If you distribute on media that does not allow copying, you have imposed a restriction on the exercise of the rights granted in that license. No where does that clause say that technical restrictions are fine. That license is, of course, the GPL. DFSG 10 says the GPL is free.