Re: A possible GFDL compromise: a proposal

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 12:49:06AM -0500, Joe Wreschnig wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 14:49, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> > I would say that the LPPL is not equal. Because it requires you to
> > change the name of the files you modify and that's a direct problem
> > when using LaTeX.
>
> Actually, one of the reasons this was considered "acceptable" by many,
> is because it's *not* a direct problem using LaTeX. LaTeX has convenient
> ways to map resource names that other languages do not, or that was what
> I gathered from the discussion. It is, however, a direct problem in many
> other programming environments.

I feel compelled to point out that the fact that the restriction was
less odious for LaTeX specifically did not render it DFSG-free
("acceptable"?) in my view.

In any event, it's no longer a problem with the current LPPL draft.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    Religion is regarded by the common
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    people as true, by the wise as