Re: Some licensing questions regarding celestia

On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 04:32:19PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Sep 2003, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 08, 2003 at 03:37:47PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> >>I'm not totally convinced one way or another is right, but case law
> >>and legislation (UCITA, etc.) seems to be going towards leases.

> > *NOT* in the case of licenses that are considered free.

> Could you explain to me why free licenses are going to be treated
> differently under the law than licenses that are not free?

There is nothing in the law that I've seen which prevents someone from
authoring and distributing a piece of software on principles other than
those governing leases; and no license that passes the DFSG could ever
be predicated on a lease, given that modification and redistribution are
essential freedoms.  Thus, they'd be treated differently under the law
by virtue of the fact that they *are* different.

Also, the UCITA has been happily rejected by a fair number of the states
where it was originally proposed and is being disputed elsewhere, so
it's not much of a precedent.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer