Re: Some licensing questions regarding celestia

[NB: I am subscribed to this list. It is not necessary to Cc: me.]

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
>> If what I did was ok, then you could trivially circumvent most (if
>> not all) copyleft licenses, simply by purchasing a copy (downloading
>> it from the original offerer), modifying the copy, compiling the
>> copy, and selling the copy [commensurate with the destruction of your
>> copy.]
>
> I believe that the fact that you point out this is a circumvention
> answers the question.  Courts do not think that's fine.

This is no different from me purchasing copyrighted micky mouse
characters and chopping their heads off and replacing them with barbie
heads and selling the resultng anaglamations as art works.

I suppose you could construct an argument regarding it, and I suppose
if I mass modified the above mattel and disney would sue me, but I'd
hope they would have a hard time prevailing...

Don Armstrong

--
It seems intuitively obvious to me, which means that it might be wrong
 -- Chris Torek

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu