Re: Some licensing questions regarding celestia

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003, Richard Braakman wrote:
> Um, you missed "or other transfer of ownership".

I didn't see it being applicable to software licences in general.

> The recipient gains ownership of a copy (and sometimes this is an
> actual sale, where money changes hands), and gets a license to make
> and distribute further copies under certain conditions.

Sure, but we're generally not talking about sale or transfer of
ownership in the context of free software licenses, because the
license limits what you can do with your copy. That is, I often can't
take my copy, modify it, and resell the binary to someone else like I
could do with any other tangible copyrighted work.

Regardless, if you could find another form of distribution that would
fit in with the licensing scheme used by software, I'm all ears.
Leasing just seems to fit the bill best, and it's used already as a
statutory basis for software licenses. [See UCITA (formerly UCC 2B)]

Don Armstrong

--
Our days are precious, but we gladly see them going
If in their place we find a thing more precious growing

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu