Re: Some licensing questions regarding celestia

On Mon, 08 Sep 2003, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Don Armstrong <don@donarmstrong.com> writes:
>> Sure, but we're generally not talking about sale or transfer of
>> ownership in the context of free software licenses, because the
>> license limits what you can do with your copy. That is, I often can't
>> take my copy, modify it, and resell the binary to someone else like I
>> could do with any other tangible copyrighted work.
>
> Free software licenses cannot restrict things which are not already
> restricted by copyright.  In the case you describe, if you really got
> rid of your copy, then what you did is ok (provided it was actually
> something you could do with any other tangible copyrighted work).

If I was sold the work, sure. But most software isn't sold, it's
leased or licensed.

If what I did was ok, then you could trivially circumvent most (if not
all) copyleft licenses, simply by purchasing a copy (downloading it
from the original offerer), modifying the copy, compiling the copy,
and selling the copy [commensurate with the destruction of your copy.]

Now, granted, this is a slow way to go about it, but you could pretty
easily setup a few systems that did this automatically.

I'd argue that in the terms of a lease, you couldn't do the above.
Whether software is sold are leased is somewhat of an open question...
and some days I wish it were sold, and other days I'm glad that it's
leased. [Hrm. My bias is creeping in there a bit...]

Anyway, I'm getting widely off topic here and into realms which I
haven't taken enough law school to talk authoritatively on. Please
feel free at any time to cite sources that will force me to reconsider
my notions.

Don Armstrong

--
Personally, I think my choice in the mostest-superlative-computer wars
has to be the HP-48 series of calculators.  They'll run almost

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://www.anylevel.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu