Re: A possible GFDL compromise

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003, Andrew Suffield wrote:

> > >That would be #1.
> >
> > "The LICENSE of a Debian component may not..."
> >
> > How is that unambiguously non-free under DFSG 1? DFSG clearly speaks
> > only of the license.
>
> The subject under discussion is a license which prohibits distribution
> on DRM media.

Not on media.  On technical methods that limit the  free access to the
documentation. The text in GFDL is  here to protect the free access of
the  documentation and  can  be understood  as  a way  to protect  the
#1. This is 'somewhat' comparable  that the GNU General Public License
requires   that  you   provide  a   source  code   capable   of  being
modified (section 3 of the GNU GPL).

The difficult  point is here that  DFSG is generic.  Comparing both is
difficult  and   prone  to  errors.  Maybe  a   specific  Debian  Free
Documentation Guideline  is needed  ? Maybe also  some wording  can be
enhanced  in the  GFDL  (like about  '''''DRM''''').  The changes  are
needed on the both sides.

adulau

--
-- 	  	     Alexandre Dulaunoy (adulau) -- http://www.foo.be/