Re: stepping in between Debian and FSF

Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> writes:

> On Fri, Sep 05, 2003 at 12:28:42PM -0400, Brian T. Sniffen wrote:
>> I think it would be more accurate to say that neither of these
>> worthies is willing to delay Sarge for removal of GFDL works.  The
>> GNU Emacs, GCC, and GDB maintainers could do so, but have to balance
>> the freedom of users against the utility of the documentation.
>
> Well, in that case there's tons of non-DFSG-free stuff that we can start
> moving into main.
>
> If utility is sufficient to excuse non-DFSG-freeness, then we don't
> really need the DFSG at all.

What, Hunh?  Nobody has said that non-DFSG-stuff-in-main isn't a bug.
For the GFDL stuff, they've said it isn't an RC bug.  It's up to the
maintainers to fix it, either by just removing the documentation, or
by putting off a fix for a few weeks while a DFSG-free version is
scraped together.

For the SUN-RPC stuff, the RM's suggested that the right way to close
the bug is to contact the copyright holder.  This doesn't seem that
unreasonable -- certainly more so than "Take the code out, rewrite the
code while contacting the copyright holder, put the code back."

-Brian

--
Brian T. Sniffen                                        bts@alum.mit.edu
                       http://www.evenmere.org/~bts/