Re: vrms and contrib installers

bts@alum.mit.edu (Brian T. Sniffen) a tapoté :

> > I'm puzzled. At first, I was thinking it was some kind of workaround
> > to avoid entering non-free but, in fact, it would be a workaround for
> > to enter debian for packages that would not be allowed at all in any
> > other case -- which is in fact more sensible, easier to understand.
>
> You are incorrect.  Contrib is not part of Debian

I know.
s/included/distributed/

> > to build a real debian package for this non-free
> > software, when installing it. Some packages clearly identified that
> > vrms can clearly identify, some package we can easily track and remove
> > completely at will. So people would know what they exactly have on
> > their computer. And I think that was the main point of the person who
> > started the thread, the ability for the user to track this non-free
> > software he got.
>
> So should my web browser have to make .deb packages when I download an
> RPM?  How about when I download a TGZ?

I think this is a pretty different situation. In one case, you're the
one that control the whole process. In the other case, it's the
maintainer of package.

> I think that's insane.  The installers are in contrib because they are
> free software

I think that everybody got that point already.

> .  They probably should clean up after themselves when --purged, but
> I can see good arguments against that as well.

It must be possible to remove an installer without removing the
installed software. That's not what is asked here.

--
Mathieu Roy

  Homepage:
    http://yeupou.coleumes.org