Re: GPL preamble removal

Keith Dunwoody <kstephen@interchange.ubc.ca> writes:

> Brian T. Sniffen wrote:
>> OK.  I have a copy of Emacs here, licensed to me under the GNU GPL2.
>> I have made some modifications to it, and updated the changelogs and
>> history notes.  I wish to give it to a friend.  Section 2b requires
>> that I distribute my new program, Sniffmacs, "under the terms of this
>> License," GPL2.  Can I give my friend Sniffmacs, together with the
>> "Terms and Conditions" section of the GPL, retitled as "Sniffen GPL"?
>> As far as I can tell, this meets the requirements for creating a new
>> license based on the GPL, and meets the requirements for distributing
>> GPL'd software.
>>

> I believe the answer is no.  The appropriate part of the GPL is section 2b.

Matter of fact, I mentioned section 2b and quoted it in my message.
Take a look at lines three and four.

> 2b)  You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in
> whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part
> thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties
> under the terms of _this_ License.
>
> (emphisis mine), where "this License" refers to the original, unmodified GPL.

And "the terms" refers to the part of the GPL labelled "TERMS AND
CONDITIONS".  This is why I think it's worth asking the FSF -- though
we should stop CCing them for further discussion.

-Brian

--
Brian T. Sniffen                                        bts@alum.mit.edu
                       http://www.evenmere.org/~bts/