Re: GPL preamble removal

Brian T. Sniffen wrote:

OK.  I have a copy of Emacs here, licensed to me under the GNU GPL2.
I have made some modifications to it, and updated the changelogs and
history notes.  I wish to give it to a friend.  Section 2b requires
that I distribute my new program, Sniffmacs, "under the terms of this
License," GPL2.  Can I give my friend Sniffmacs, together with the
"Terms and Conditions" section of the GPL, retitled as "Sniffen GPL"?

As far as I can tell, this meets the requirements for creating a new
license based on the GPL, and meets the requirements for distributing
GPL'd software.

I believe the answer is no.  The appropriate part of the GPL is section 2b.

2b) You must cause any work that you distribute or publish, that in whole or in part contains or is derived from the Program or any part thereof, to be licensed as a whole at no charge to all third parties under the terms of _this_ License.

(emphisis mine), where "this License" refers to the original, unmodified GPL.

--
find / -user your -name base |xargs chown us:us