Re: Can I modify the DFSG (and not derive from)?

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 10:01:40PM +0200, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> The DFSG is free enough to be useful -- you still cannot just simply
> modify it and redistribute it under the same name, do you? Or is that
> exactly what mean "build on"? Am I able to publish a DFSG named DFSG
> (if it's just because Debian may be (is?) a trademark, it's not
> related to the license)?
>
> May I for instance take a copy of Debian and redistribute it by _only_
> changing the DFSG text, adding a line saying that the GFDL qualified
> documentation as free documentation?

Yes.  As long as you follow the modification rules of the OPL:

  1. The modified version must be labeled as such.
  2. The person making the modifications must be identified and the
     modifications dated.
  3. Acknowledgement of the original author and publisher if applicable
     must be retained according to normal academic citation practices.
  4. The location of the original unmodified document must be identified.
  5. The original author's (or authors') name(s) may not be used to assert
     or imply endorsement of the resulting document without the original
     author's (or authors') permission.

As Debian/SPI are the authors of the document, I think you would have
to label the modified version very clearly that it is not the opinion
of Debian or SPI in order to comply with the license.

IMO, I think you would have a very difficult time convincing anyone
that you are complying with the license without changing the title
of the document.

> > Go away, troll.

dave...