Re: documentation eq software ?

Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org> a tapoté :

> Mathieu Roy <yeupou@gnu.org> writes:
> > Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org> a tapoté :
> >> Mathieu Roy <yeupou@gnu.org> writes:
>
> >> Do you think we already have the right to modify invariant text in
> >> the GFDL?
> >
> > Yes I do.
> > I can rewrite any idea expressed in any text, invariant or not.
>
> rewrite != modify
>
> > (I cannot rewrite any idea behind a software until I get access to
> > the sources. If I don't, it's only mimetism.)
>
> I looked up the word 'mimetism' since I'd not heard it before, and
> it's evidently the same as 'mimicry'[1].  Unfortunately, that doesn't
> help me to understand what you mean.  If you're happy to force people
> to rewrite the emacs documentation, why aren't you happy to force
> people to rewrite emacs?

Please point out which parts of Emacs documentation are
invariant. If I'm not mistaking, these parts express some personal
feelings. Personals feelings are not something that can be enhanced by
someone else.

I do not think these personal feeling are hurting people.

> >> My only point is that the analogy between books (which may or may
> >> not be free, depending on their license) and works under the GFDL
> >> is fundamentally flawed.
> >
> > But apparently you missed the fact that works under the GFDL
> > possibly can be edited as book.
>
> If you're rewriting it it's not appropriate to talk about editing it,

My mistake, I wrote "edited" when thinking "published". In French, we
usually use the verb "edit" to mean "publish".

> I find it truly astonishing that you think it's just as easy to
> rewrite an entire document as it is to fix a typo in that document.

If a text express a personal feelings, typo are not about to be fixed
to enhance the text: it would change the nature of the text. Would you
like to enhance Cicero, for instance?

The invariant text are not (should not be) manuals part but litteracy
part in a manual, it's something to be kept in mind.

As I already said, would you like the GPL or the DFSG to be variant?

--
Mathieu Roy

  Homepage:
    http://yeupou.coleumes.org