Re: [RESULTS] SURVEY: Is the GNU FDL a DFSG-free license?

Mathieu Roy <yeupou@gnu.org> wrote:
> > > I conclude that there is a probability of less than 1 in 1000 that the
> > > above total vote for option 1 would have been obtained by pure chance
> > > if there was no majority for option 1 over all others.
> >
> > This is only meaningful if the sample is unbiased.  Since the survey
> > was announced on debian-legal and voting was voluntary, that skews the
> > result towards the opinions of debian-legal regulars.
> > But I don't think that the bias is so bad that it makes the survey
> > useless.  It certainly displays a consensus of debian-legal.
>
> There are several issues.
>
> - This survey was made during aout, where more than usually people can
>   be on vacation -- yeah, I was :)

There is no perfect time.  In September people are busy with classes.
The timing is as good as it will ever be.

> - It's represent only the point of view of people at debian-legal
>   while the scope of the issue is way more general than that.

Actually, no.  It is a legal question.  Does this license, as applied
to various works, conform to the DFSG?  If you want to find out
whether Debian wants to have different guidelines for documentation,
ask a different question on -project or -devel.  You should also have
an idea of how those guidelines would be different before you actually
make such a survey.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu