Re: A possible GFDL compromise

On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 09:38:01PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
> They cannot make any specific person forget, but they have led most US
> journalists to deny our existence, so that most people never find out
> about us.

I don't know about US, but I know that here in Belarus this problem does
not exist. People who care tend to know about both FSF and OSI and about
their history. People who don't care just use the software and don't pay
attention to underlying philosophy, and no amount of propaganda would
make them care about either FSF or OSI. There's no use in blaming
journalists or OSI for some people's indifference, that's a more
fundamental problem and should be treated as such.

> We need every method of informing them that we can get.

Every? That sounds just like "Noble goal justifies vile means". Even if
you don't believe that "there is no such Good on Earth that is worth a
single child's teardrop", can you at least agree that _some_ methods are
not worth the goal, and that _some_ cure is worse than the desease?

--
Dmitry Borodaenko