Re: Freaky copyright laws [was: SUN RPC code is DFSG-free]

Branden Robinson wrote:
> If I recall correctly, U.S. legal tradition was ridiculed for not being
> grounded on "sweat-of-the-brow" arguments.  In actual fact, very little
> "IP law" in the U.S. appears to be grounded on that.

If I ridiculed US law for not supporting database rights, I apologize.
However it is important to realize that database rights *are* based
on a sweat-of-the-brow argument. And again, since they have nothing
to do with copyright law, they do not need to be based on the Berne
Convention, the Copyright Clause or other principles of copyright law.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch patent attorney - Speaking only for myself