Freaky copyright laws [was: SUN RPC code is DFSG-free]

On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 04:12:08PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> I freely admit that this analysis is grounded on U.S.-centric notions of
> reverse engineering and "originality" as a relevant concept to
> copyright.  In other jurisdictions, copyrights more closely resemble
> patents, and independent innovation is no defense to a claim of
> copyright infringement.

Good grief, there are jurisdictions where copyright law follows the
first-finder-is-keeper system used by patents? I'm not sure that free
software can work at all with laws like that.

Do you have a list? I want to avoid visiting such countries.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |