Re: Freaky copyright laws [was: SUN RPC code is DFSG-free]

On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 10:39:02PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 10:29:40PM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 24, 2003 at 04:12:08PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > > I freely admit that this analysis is grounded on U.S.-centric notions of
> > > reverse engineering and "originality" as a relevant concept to
> > > copyright.  In other jurisdictions, copyrights more closely resemble
> > > patents, and independent innovation is no defense to a claim of
> > > copyright infringement.
> >
> > Good grief, there are jurisdictions where copyright law follows the
> > first-finder-is-keeper system used by patents? I'm not sure that free
> > software can work at all with laws like that.
> >
> > Do you have a list? I want to avoid visiting such countries.
>
> I thought basically every place outside the U.S. was like that.  Several
> times when the U.S. Supreme Court decision of _Feist v. Rural Telephone
> Service Co._ has come up, it's been ridiculed by some Europeans.

[I can't think of anything in UK copyright law that would behave this
way for software].

I'm pretty certain that reverse engineering is explicitly permitted by
an EU directive nowadays, which would trump any freaky national laws
like that.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |