Re: SUN RPC code is DFSG-free

On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 06:50:19PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > I'm personally concerned about this particular phrase, as it seems to
> > preclude Debian from distributing software with Sun RPC in it unless
> > Debian itself is developing the product or program using Sun RPC.
>
> Which we are, viz "The Debian Distribution".

...which means the license violates either DFSG 5, DFSG 6, or DFSG 8.

If the fact that we *are* "the Debian Project" or *are* a group of
"developers of products or programs" are facts that render us compliant
with the license, then the license is not DFSG-free.

Who you are, or what you do (apart from the copyright-protected
activity of distribution of the Work-in-Itself) does not matter to a
Free license.

If it does, the license is not Free.

If citing who we are or what we do is a defense to a claim of copyright
infringement, then the license is discriminatory.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |           If ignorance is bliss,