Re: SUN RPC code is DFSG-free

On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 12:38:49PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> The same text appears in the GPL.
>
> If you're really going to argue that the code in question cannot "be
> reasonably considered independent", the original license clause is a
> no-op.  Why are you worried about what the license says about
> distributing in isolation something that you believe cannot be isolated?

Not the same thing; I *can* isolate any given line of code from
anything. That doesn't make it reasonable to consider every line of
code independant, in this context.

> If it can be distributed as a separate work, the GPL says it's ok that
> this separate work carry a different license.

It says that only if you don't distribute them both together. We do
distribute them together.

> If it can't be
> distributed as a separate work, then at a minimum, that term of the
> license is a no-op -- and at most, there may be nothing left that the
> original authors can claim copyright on.

Let's try this from the other end. I stipulate that the GPL guarantees
all components *can* be distributed under the same terms as the GPL. I
should therefore be able to take any such component and work with it
under the terms of the GPL. This does not hold for the sunrpc code.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |