Re: SUN RPC code is DFSG-free

On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 11:49:47AM +0100, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 23, 2003 at 06:50:19PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > > Isn't this whole thing incompatible with the (L)GPL anyway? The code
> > > in question has been highly modified and integrated into the glibc
> > > source tree, presumably with the modifications under the LGPL,

> > It's not appropriate to presume so as to make things illegal. If there's
> > a valid interpretation that makes things legal, then that should be
> > the default. Only if there are no such valid interpretations, or if the
> > copyright holder states their interpretation, is it appropriate to worry
> > about this.

> > > Sun has repeatedly clarified elsewhere that the intent of this is
> > > essentially "MIT/X11, except you may not distribute this product
> > > alone."

> > Not being able to distribute the original Sun RPC code alone is not a
> > problem, so long as we're able to distribute any variants of it that
> > we may actually want. If you're really concerned about other possible
> > caveats, please feel free to contact Sun to work on getting a clarified
> > license. However as it stands, the license passes the DFSG at least as
> > well as, eg, the Artistic license does.

> The copyright holder has, apparently, stated their intentions. And
> their intentions are: "MIT/X11, except you may not distribute this
> product alone".

> Are you seriously suggesting that this is *not* an additional
> restriction over those made by the (L)GPL? Otherwise, I don't see how
> you can claim it is compatible.

"These requirements apply to the modified work as a whole.  If
identifiable sections of that work are not derived from the Library,
and can be reasonably considered independent and separate works in
themselves, then this License, and its terms, do not apply to those
sections when you distribute them as separate works.  But when you
distribute the same sections as part of a whole which is a work based
on the Library, the distribution of the whole must be on the terms of
this License, whose permissions for other licensees extend to the
entire whole, and thus to each and every part regardless of who wrote

LGPL, section 2.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer