Re: A possible approach in "solving" the FDL problem

"Sergey V. Spiridonov" <sena@hurd.homeunix.org> writes:

> Unfortunately we do not live in the ideal world.

I'm curious what you thought of my example involving a license that
pays us to give up our freedoms.  Doesn't that rather directly break
your method of determining the freedom of a license?  And it's not
even that far from reality, when you consider that you can substitute
the right to use the software for money.  You seem to suggest that if
it's really, really useful, it's automatically free.  This strikes me
as a very silly conclusion, so I may be misunderstanding you.

> Freedom has a value because it is convenient and useful to be
> free. Nothing else. There is no need to have a freedom which can't
> be used, and sometimes we can agree to give away a bit of our
> freedom, which we can't (or do not want) utilize in exchange for
> other values.

If you really believe this (and I'm not sure you will, if you think it
over for a bit) then there probably isn't much ground for discussion.
Either freedom is important to you, or it isn't.  If, to you, freedom
is just another variety of usefulness, then you don't really
understand what freedom is at all.

I'd be perfectly happy to discuss that issue with you off list, but
unless you value freedom in something approaching the way the rest of
us here do, there's no point to discussing this on-list.

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>