Re: A possible approach in 'solving' the FDL problem

[Please respect my mail headers, namely:

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 12:59:07AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 03:17:52PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> > Not everyone agrees that the world is round, either, and one can marshal
> > as many logical arguments demonstrating that it is as one wants.
>
> This comparison is flawed. A correct one would be 'not everyone agrees
> that the word "world" means "the planet earth"'. After all, there are
> other planets too...

Thank you for this telling example of context-dropping.

> Still, that doesn't change my opinion; I've always interpreted the word
> 'software' as 'computer programs', and I cannot imagine to be the only
> Debian developer with that opinion. Since this document defines the way
> we look at the world, as a group, it's very important we clear that out.

There are a number of ways to do this.  One is to explore the historical
and factual context within which the statement was first made.

It is not the case that Debian used to contain nothing but computer
programs, but sometime after adopting the Social Contract, we let other
materials into our Distribution.

> > Which part of Social Contract clause 1 do you want to get rid of?
[...]
> I'm going to ignore this part, and attribute it to the reason you earned
> your reputation.

It's certainly a convenient excuse to avoid answering the question.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      Mob rule isn't any prettier just
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      because you call your mob a