Re: A possible approach in 'solving' the FDL problem

On Fri, Aug 08, 2003 at 07:25:50AM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> In the broader definition of software. Not everyone sees that definition
> as correct, including many people who accepted the DFSG with a
> definition of software that only includes 'computer programs', not this
> broad definition, in mind.

Not everyone agrees that the world is round, either, and one can marshal
as many logical arguments demonstrating that it is as one wants.

Unless you're willing to make a *logical* case that is consistent with
the maxim "Debian Will Remain 100% Free Software", or are willing to
launch an effort to change that maxim, you're wasting everyone's time.

Which part of Social Contract clause 1 do you want to get rid of?

1) "100%"
2) "Free"
or
3) "Software"

Perhaps all of the above.  Perhaps Debian's mission should be much more
loosely defined, so that we can distribute whatever nifty warez strike
our fancy at the time.  Licenses are *so boring*, man.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     Cogitationis poenam nemo meretur.