Re: Fw: [argouml-dev] Licence issue (debian in particular)

Scripsit Joel Baker <fenton@debian.org>

> Or, in other words, it may well fail DFSG #6, because the upstream is very
> likely to be completely unwilling to open themselves up to the lawsuits
> that could result from a critical failure of their software when used in
> a safety-critical system where a failure could wreak havoc over a large
> geographical area.

But they could protect themselves perfectly well without trying to
use their license to *forbid* use in saftety-critical systems. What
they're saying here is not just "it'll not be our fault if something
happens" - they're saying "you will be in violation of the license if
you use it for X, so you can except to be sued".

> (Similar notices are often seen for life-critical systems such as medical,
> military support, or other similar stuff).

To the best of my knowledge we don't have any such (== trying to
restrict use rather than merely disclaim warranty) notices in
Debian. If we have, bugs should be filed against those packages.

Henning Makholm               "... not one has been remembered from the time
                         when the author studied freshman physics. Quite the
            contrary: he merely remembers that such and such is true, and to
          explain it he invents a demonstration at the moment it is needed."