Re: The debate on Invariant sections (long)

On Tue, 13 May 2003 23:52:20 +0200
jmarant@nerim.net (Jérôme Marant) wrote:
>   It is relevant because RMS is Emacs's project leader, so he is
>   this upstream we have to bargain with, isn't he?

It is not relevant to the question, "is Emacs documentation Free?"
That's entirely based on the license. Obviously people should try to get
him to change it, if it's non-Free, but that's an aside. (Especially
given that he's stated he will not.)

> >> No you don't care: you don't use Emacs.
> >
> > Excuse me? I use it regularly. It's not my regular editor though,
> > and I constantly consult the on-line docs. So arguably it could
> > affect me more than it affects a seasoned user.
>
>   I should never believe what people say on IRC.

Hey, I never lied :) I've used Vim for a long time and I don't envision
changing that any time soon. But sometimes it's easier to fire up Emacs
to edit source with some weird indentation than it is to figure out the
rules of the indentation and make a Vim modeline for it. (This obviously
only happens when they've got the Emacs modeline thingy in there.)

I also use it as my Texinfo reader for the most part, something which
other "editors" simply don't do. When I come across a file for which Vim
doesn't have syntax highlighting, I'll bring up Emacs to see if it does
(and, if so, port the syntax-highlighting portions of the major mode to
Vim).

I also just like playing with things :)