Re: Dissident versus ASP

Henning Makholm <henning@makholm.net> writes:
> Scripsit Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>

>> I'm saying that in the most typical case, these folks will have big
>> servers & big pipes.  I'm certainly not saying that it's ideal that
>> only folks with big servers and big pipes be able to provide ASP
>> services.
>
> What you seem to be saying is that you consider it OK if a
> (purportedly free) license effectively prevents people *without*
> big servers and big pipes from using/modifying the software.
>
> Well, that's probably not what you mean, but it's the consequence of
> the "this is free enough, because it will not be hard to satisfy for
> people who do have sexy hardware" line of reasoning.

You may want to go back and reread the message in question, I have a
feeling you saw the bit about folks with big pipes and didn't read on
about folks with smaller pipes.

I gave suggested several ways in which things could be made easier:

* If no changes have been made to the source, a URL to upstream may be
  sufficient.

* If changes have been made and upstream incorporates them, a URL may
  still be sufficient.

* If upstream doesn't incorporate the patches, distribution of patches
  along with the URL of upstream may be enough.

* If even distribution of patches is onerous, include a written offer
  option, ala the GPL.

* Going yet farther, a license may include a time delay (of one month,
  for example) before source distribution is required.

I don't see that combination of options an onerous, even for folks
with small pipes.  Do you?  If you think so, tell me who's going to
have trouble meeting *any* of these requirements.

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>