Re: Dissident versus ASP

tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) writes:

> Part of the point of free software is that everyone has a software
> publishing factory on their desk, and it is the noxious copyright
> regime that blocks them from using it.
>
> My server, even if over a tiny pipe, would be useful as an ASP
> provider for my friends, just as my CD-writer is useful as a software
> publishing factory for my friends.

But if you don't have a CD-writer, or even a computer, how are you
going to be able to distribute software?  Surely there is some
reasonable minimum of requirements we can assume people can meet.
It's made even easier in this case because we're assuming they're
already running a network service.

Read my reply to Henning Makholm and let me know who can't meet the
requirements I outlined there.  How many people do you imagine will be
running ASP services but will be completely unable to make a few k of
compressed patch files available for users of the ASP service to
download?

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>