Re: Barriers to an ASP loophole closure

tb@becket.net (Thomas Bushnell, BSG) writes:

> The point is that the alleged "user", even if he has the source to
> what's behind the web page, *can't* change it, because it's on a
> computer beyond his control, on the other side of that connection.
> Giving him the source does *NOT* make it possible for him to change
> it.

Sure, but he may still want to know how the source works, or he may
want to replicate the same functionality elsewhere.

But even so, I'm not saying that everything that could possibly be
construed as "use" should have access to source tied to it.  If my
dentist uses copylefted accounting software to send me bills I don't
necessarily get access to source.  That kind of "use" is outside the
kind of use we want to pick out.  And I acknowledge that picking out
the right kind of use will be hard.  But if the dentist were using
copylefted accounting software via a web interface, it does seem
reasonable to argue that he ought to have access to the source.

But you still haven't answered my question: *IF* it could be done (and
passed the other two tests I mentioned in my other message), would it
be free?

>> In the case of a web page it makes as much sense to say that the admin
>> is using apache as it does to say that the viewer is -- more, imho.
>
> Exactly.  But the Affero bit says that the *viewer* is the "user", and
> that the source has to be given to the *user*.

It's pretty clear (to me, at least) that the Affero bit doesn't work.
Not only does it restrict the sorts of modifications made, but it
doesn't pick out the right sort of uses to attach the freedoms to.
(Arguably, it's a clever attempt to avoid that question by pushing it
off on the author, but that causes problems of it's own.)

So are the tests I outlined sufficient?  Do they provide a good
framework within which to decide whether an attempt to close the ASP
loophole is free?  Certainly nothing proposed so far passes these
three tests, but if something did (and didn't have any other problems
with it) would it be OK?

I've quoted the relevant section of my previous message here:

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>