Re: Barriers to an ASP loophole closure

> Well, "dissidents" supposedly want to be able to keep their changes
> private to a small group from among all the people who have any knowledge
> of their software. "ASP" folks want to keep their software private to
> themselves.

Yes, dissidents want to share their changes with cooperating
dissidents, but no one else because doing so would increase the risk
beyond acceptable levels.

The idea is that, before I make the software available in any way, I
should be able to decide who should get access and who should not.
And that list need not include the author.

> One possiblity would be to change the distribute-to-author requirement
> to be something like "If the author is aware of your modifications, and
> requests them, you are required to provide them at cost", and require the
> author to somehow positively demonstrate his awareness. If you're only
> using the software locally, or amongst a few friends, the author can't
> demonstrate any such awareness; if you provide a subscription service
> to the public, one of your subscribers can mail the author and tell him
> about it though.

But the author may find out.

--
Jeremy Hankins <nowan@nowan.org>