Re: Should the ASP loophole be fixed? (Re: The Affero license)

On Fri, 7 Mar 2003, John Goerzen wrote:
> People that telnetted in to central servers, I think, fell into this
> category even then.

Heck, leave telnet out of it.  People have used software they don't have a
copy of since forever.  I'd guess vending machines might be the earliest
common example.

This isn't a new problem to be addressed.  And the underlying debate has
nothing to do with networking technologies.  The questions are:

1) can software that forces a recipient to distribute it to non-recipient
users still be considered free?

2) even if it can be considered free, is it worth the incredible hassle to
recipients to add such a demand?

My answers are "no" and "no".