Re: PHPNuke license

On Wed, Mar 05, 2003 at 12:45:55PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> I would recommend that users of the GPL who find this requirement ugly
> begin adding an additional exemption to 2(c) to their own works.
> Branden, if I'm not mistaken, this would constitute an additional
> permission and is therefore acceptable in your book?

Heh, you make it sound like I'm hard to please.  :)

The most important reason I usually moan and holler about riders tacked
on the GNU GPL is that they're often extra *restrictions*; i.e., net
reductions on the amount of freedom enjoyed by the users; i.e., make the
work more, not less distinguishable from being in the public domain.

Only slightly less important that this is that extra restrictions render
the work itself GNU GPL-incompatible, thanks to clauses 6 and 7 of the
GPL.  That means such a work can't be linked with libraries licensed
under the ordinary GPL (which turns out to be a major practical problem
for most work using the GPL + rider clauses).

Third, it means that the code in the work cannot be freely borrowed and
placed into other GPLed works without causing headaches -- the software
doesn't really belong to the "commons" of copyrighted works that are
licensed under the GNU GPL, which is a large and important collection of
materials.

Riders on the GNU GPL that grant extra *permissions* have *none* of
these problems.  Therefore, you're correct -- it's acceptable.

Just thought I'd offer you a detailed explanation since I get the
feeling you didn't understand where I was coming from.  I'm not trying
to be Moses giving you the Law; I think I'll render better service to
debian-legal if people understand *why* I think the way I do.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      If encryption is outlawed, only