Re: OSD && DFSG - different purposes

Thomas Bushnell, BSG writes:
 > Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com> writes:
 >
 > > Thomas Bushnell, BSG writes:
 > >  > You are ignoring the *substance* of DFSG and focusing on its literal
 > >  > wording.
 > >
 > > You have no argument why the literal meaning differs from the
 > > substance of #3.  You can't, because it doesn't.  Go read the
 > > rationale for #3.
 >
 > The *substance* of #3 is to preserve the right to make changes such as
 > suit the *changer*.

Please don't change the subject and then claim victory.  The subject
at hand is whether the RPSL violates #3 because modifiers have to
publish, but mere redistributors don't.  The substance of that part of
#3 is that a recipient gets to redistribute on the same terms as she
received the software.

 > > I know, and you can't point to anything in the DFSG that prohibits

 > Because debian-legal-free is a particular reading of the DFSG.

How do you read something that doesn't exist?  I think it's more
accurate to say that debian-legal-free is a peculiar reading of the
DFSG.

--
-russ nelson              http://russnelson.com | A government does enough
Crynwr sells support for free software  | PGPok | wrong to offset what it