Re: PHPNuke license

On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 16:33, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 04, 2003 at 01:37:10PM -0500, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > I've been thinking a bit about this license and 2c in general. I'm not
> > particularly happy about 2c because it restricts the ability of
> > programs to be used in specific ways. I can't yet codify what I feel
> > is wrong with it, and what I would do to change it, but I hope to be
> > able to do so in a few days.
>
> Just FYI, I share your feelings.  I think 2c is the worst wart on the
> GNU GPL.
>
> Unfortunately, I strongly suspect the FSF is interested in having more
> warts like this in GNU GPL v3, not fewer.

*speaking as an FSF employee, but not stating an official position of
the foundation*

I just got out of a meeting on how to clean up (2)(c).  No guarantees,
but I'm working for it.  Our initial thought is to move from normal
startup to something like -v.  This would be non-cluttering, but would
retain the various good effects of (2)(c), which include stroking
authors' egos, letting users know about Free Software, and keeping
copyright strings in the program binaries (which is how most of our
license violations are found).

OTOH, the Affero bit is staying AFAIK, and I hope that Debian can accept
that.  We had a discussion on proper interpretation of #3 brewing, and I
would be happy for it to brew some more (although I'll have to take off
my FSF hat, of course).

--
-Dave Turner
GPL Compliance Engineer