Re: PHPNuke license

On Sat, Mar 01, 2003 at 05:04:11PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:

> > (2)(c) merely states that they *could* have such a notice.  Most of the
> > coreutils aren't interactive.
>
> I don't see how you can be go generous with your interpretation of
> "interactivity" when it comes to PHPNuke but so strict when it comes to
> the coreutils.  When I type "cp" or "rm" at a shell prompt, it feels
> pretty interactive to me.  Then of course there are flags in fact use
> the dreaded word:

<resisting temptation to stir>

You're misinterpreting what he said; he meant that the license mentions
that the original work "could" have a copyright statement when invoked
interactively, and that if it did, you must retain it. Look at gs for an
example.

> If I were to fork coreutils -- calling it, say "annoyingutils" -- and
> add sufficient code to cp and rm to merit a copyright, I could add a
> notice that gets displayed when standard input is a tty everytime either
> of these commands run.  Or at the very least I could make sure the
> notice is printed when someone uses the -i flag, and thanks to 2c, no
> one would ever be able to remove the copyright notices.

And? So? Nobody would use your versions.

> In sum, I don't understand how you can be liberal with your
> interpretation of interactivity when it comes to web applications but
> conservative when it comes to the command line.

/me bites tongue

Cheers,

Nick
--