Re: PHPNuke license

On Fri, Feb 28, 2003 at 06:06:19PM -0500, David Turner wrote:

> > However, if we accept the theory that the reader of the website is also
> > a user of the program (which does have something going for it), GPL
> > 2(c) says that the notice must be displayed "when started running for
> > such interactive use in the most ordinary way". That would be on the
> > front page of the website (http://www.example.org/), but not
> > necessarily on each of the generated pages one sees *after* having
> > started browsing the site.

> I guess that's true, although if you bookmark a page, and come back to
> it, that might be a new start.

However, the GPL specifically says "in the most ordinary way".  It seems
to me that deep linking is not the "most ordinary way" of starting a
session on a given website, just like adding extra commandline arguments
to one's invocation of a command which disable banner display is the
"most ordinary way".

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer