Re: Yet another bunch of licences

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, +00:38:27 EET (UTC +0200),
Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> pressed some keys:

>     These are really important projects that claim to be free in the sense
>     of freedom.  But I'd like to know, what Free Software Foundation and
>     readers of debian-legal think about those licences. So, please, evaluate
>     those licences carefully
>
> The Creative Commons licenses are not supposed to be used for software.
> Doesn't the Creative Commons site say so?  It ought to.

Maybe. They already have listed photos, music and texts licenced under
Creative Commons licences.

But it would be really irritating situation, if somebody creates
nice software documentation that is meant to be free, and then she/he is
faced with fact, that Debian refuse to package it in main, because he
picked some non-free licence from Creative Commons licences. So, you'd
better warn people.

Anyway, meanwhile I can use Design Science Licence for my WWW-pages and
poetry.

>     https://www.helixcommunity.org/
>
>     Helix DNA is multi-licenced software project. One of those licences is
>     meant to be compatible with Open Source Definition.
>
> The draft I saw was not a free software license.  I don't know if they
> have changed it.  If you send me a copy I will take a look.

People of debian-legal already found some problems in latest version of
that licence.

http://lists.debian.org/
http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2003/debian-legal-200302/threads.html

I'll try to remember to send you a copy of latest version of that
licence.

>     This question still remains: Can I listen and watch to RealAudio- and
>     RealVideo-files with completely free software, if I install only
>     RPSL-licenced software from Helix DNA?

> I am pretty sure you cannot--this license is used only for a part of the
> software.  The rest remains proprietary.

Well, their FAQs helped me: RealAudio- and RealVideo-CODECS are not
available under RPSL.

But Helix DNA can handle other CODECs, too. Even Ogg Vorbis-support is
under development. If problems of RPSL will be rectified, even without
Real*-CODECs Helix DNA might be both free and useful software.

--
Juhapekka "naula" Tolvanen * University of Jyväskylä * juhtolv@st.jyu.fi
http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~juhtolv/index.html * * "STRAIGHT BUT NOT NARROW!!"