Re: License of ROOT: acceptable for non-free?

> Being unable to not fix security issues in a timely manner is a Bad
> Thing.  We should not support, endorse or otherwise support such
> software.  Not even in non-free (which is not part of Debian proper).

Just in case there's some confusion about the type of package, I believe "root"
is a C++ based scientific analysis package, a replacement for the older Fortran
based PAW and PAW++.  It's published by Cern as part of Cernlib (I think).

It's an analysis package, analagous to Gnuplot.  I don't think that it does any
network stuff at all, so I don't think that security is an issue.

Having this package in Debian would be a tremendous asset.

Craig Steffen

--
http://www.craigsteffen.net/contact/
current goal: use a CueCat scanner to inventory my books