Re: OSD && DFSG - different purposes

>>>>> "Russell" == Russell Nelson <nelson@crynwr.com> writes:

    Russell> Why not change the DFSG?

Currently we have some organizational issues that make it rather
difficult for us to change the DFSG even if we want to.  IT would
probably be a minimum of six months or so before we can sort these
out.

These have to do with constitutional issues involving how the Debian
voting process works and what sort of super majority is required to
amend the social contract.

So, clarifications to the DFSG are unlikely to get sufficient support
to change the document at this time because of the effort required to
make a change.  IT may well be that showing where the DFSG as
interpreted is actually broken and does not meet the community's needs
would get more interest in changing things now.  IT may also be that a
sufficiently dedicated member of the Debian community could succeed in
clarifying the DFSG after the constitutional issues are sorted out.

--Sam